How Project Serendipity Came to Be

12.13.2015


As many of you may already know, Aila of One Way or an Author, Alexandra of Lit Legionnaire, Ava of Bookishness and Tea, and I launched Project Serendipity last week. The aim of this endeavor is to encourage the spread of compliments and kindness in the blogosphere. We felt that compliments are something enjoyable to all parties involved, and ought to be more widespread in the book blogging realm. Thus, we created the project. We facilitate the compliments, decorate them to be card-like, and send them to the recipients, much like cards. Then, if they would like, they can print the compliments to create a booklet. But you can read more about the idea here.

We were pleasantly surprised by the immense positive response Project Serendipity has received so far on social media. So, I thought it would be fun to share how we came about the idea and inspiration for this endeavor.

It all started with a review I saw on Aila's blog. She had featured a five-star book in an incredibly creative rap review: a book discussion format I had never seen before. I was impressed by the idea and tweeted her saying just that. She replied that she loved compliments, and Alexandra and Ava quickly joined the conversation.

The mention of compliments randomly reminded me of a project I had in third grade. My teacher had us exchange compliments with every person in the class, and compile them into a rainbow-colored booklet. Then, whenever we felt like it, we could reference the booklet and read through the lovely compliments for cheer and confidence. After about six years now, I still have the booklet, and look through it on occasion.


 I remembered the booklet, thought of the compliments, and knew something like this should be adapted to the blogosphere.

I told Aila, Alexandra, and Ava about the booklet, and we almost instantly pounced on the idea. We spent hours of planning and communication to bring the event together.

Our hope is that, once we send the compliments to recipients, they might wish to compile the own booklet, just as that I made previously, but of book community icons. That way, if the increasingly common blogging slump or other happening occurred, one would have the booklet of positive notes for encouragement.


If you are interested in participating in the first ever Project Serendipity, just fill out the form below!

Have you signed up for Project Serendipity?

6 comments :

  1. You know, one Christmas my teacher did the same thing for us in school, but instead of a rainbow colored booklet, she typed them all up for us on fancy paper. I had it framed on the wall for the next six years! Though I don't feel like all the compliments apply to me today, it's still a priceless gift I like to keep around, so I'm really pleased that you're sharing this in the blogosphere, too! :D Cuz... awesomeness. That's why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! I feel similarly about the booklet I created in third grade. I'm glad you still have the compliments!

      Delete
  2. THANK YOU so much for putting this together Claire! The kindness and the compliments are some of my favorite things about the blogosphere, and the holiday season is such a great time to spread that love. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem!:) I agree; the holiday season is a wonderful time to promote kindness!

      Delete
  3. I've only heard about this Project this year and am so glad to be a part of it! I've already met with my partner and can't wait to spread some compliments around the blogosphere once I'm done with midterms. February is going to be a great month of love <3

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so, Alex! Good luck with your midterms!

      Delete